- Where do I check in? Come to the front desk in the Tang Hall lobby to check into your apartment
- What do I need to do in order to check in? You will need to pick up your keys from the desk worker and fill out an on-line form (Make sure you have a picture ID with you). The key given to you will open your outer apartment door, your apartment mailbox as well as your bedroom door.
Access to the Building
- How do I gain access to the building? You will need to use your MIT ID-card to get in and out of the building. If you have not yet received your ID then you may check out a Temporary access card from the desk until you receive your picture ID. Your ID works on the front and back doors. Please note: your ID works in the front door at all times, but only in the back door until 9:00pm.
- What should I do if my MIT ID-card is not working? Please Leave your Name, Room Number and ID number with at Tang Front Desk and your ID will be activated the following day.
- What if I lock myself out of my room? Please come to the Tang Desk and let the desk worker know that you have locked yourself out of your apartment. If you have a valid PICTURE ID with you, the desk worker will check out a lockout key to you, WHICH MUST BE RETURNED TO THE DESK IMMEDIATELY UPON RE-ENTRY INTO YOUR ROOM. If you do not have a PICTURE ID with you, please call x 3-1500 (617-253-1500).
NOTE: if the desk is closed, you will need to call x 3-1500 (617-253-1500).
ONLY RESIDENTS WHO WILL APPLY FOR A YEARLY PARKING PASS WILL BE ALLOWED TO CHECK OUT A TEMP PARKING CARD
- Where can I park my car? Students who have obtained parking permits may park in the gated lot next to the Westgate high-rise (across the lawn in front of Tang Hall). Once you have obtained a parking permit, your MIT picture ID will need to be activated by the parking office Basement floor student Center in order to grant you access to this lot.
- How do I apply for a parking permit? To apply for a permit, visit here. MIT Certificates are required.
- What do I do until this permit is issued? Temporary parking passes are available from 8/16/2005 through 9/15/2005 at the Tang Desk.
Tang Desk (617-253-1773)
- What are the hours of the Tang Desk? The Tang Desk is normally open Monday through Friday from 7:30am until 10:00pm, and from 9:00am-10:00pm during the weekend.
- What services are provided by the Desk?
- Video Lending Service: Videos may be borrowed at the Tang Desk. Each resident is allowed a maximum rental of two videos and the rental period is 24 hours. Please return videos promptly and in good condition to avoid fees. A quarter donation per each video rental is suggested.
- Packages: The desk accepts packages from all carriers for residents. You will receive an e-mail when a package arrives for you. Please bring this information and a PICTURE ID to the desk to claim your package. Please note: the desk will not accept any packages addressed to anyone other than the resident.
- Fax Machine: Residents may use the fax machine that is located at the Tang Desk to send and receive faxes. The fax number is 617-253-3768. A calling card is required for long-distance or international faxes.
- Sports Equipment, tools, bicycle pump, vacuum cleaners, carts, and cots are just a few of the items loaned out by the desk. Items are generally loaned for a 24-hour period and must be returned promptly to the desk to avoid late fees. Please note: these items may not always be available.
- What are Tang’s quiet hours? Tang’s quiet hours are from 11 pm to 7 am, Sunday to Thursday, and 1 am to 7 am, Friday and Saturday.
- For maintenance requests, please fill out an on-line “MIT Housing Repair Request” here. Instructions can be found here. Please note: you will need to have your MIT personal certificate to access this website
- Incase of EMERGENCY: Call 3-1500 immediately from the hallway telephone across from the elevators or 617-253-1500 from your cell-phone.
- For maintenance issues outside of your apartment (for example, a spill in the elevator, a leak in the lobby, or a problem with card access at the front entrance): Please contact Michael Collins in his office, at x 3-5146, or email@example.com
- For problems with the washing machines or dryers: please use this link, or call the company (Mac-Gray) directly: 1-800-622-4729.
- Trash chute is located near the stairwell by the “E” and “F” apartment doors.
- Please sort out the waste generated in your apartments into recyclable and compostable items and put them in their respective bins outside the rear door on the ground floor.
- What to recycle or compost? – click here
- For more information, please visit – http://188.8.131.52/facilities/tang_go_green/
- Telephones: Telephones have been installed on every floor across from the elevators. Your bedroom is not equipped to service analog desk phones.
- Emergency contact: Incase of a medical emergency or a hazard situation, you can also call 100 from a telephone connected to the MIT network (such as the ones in the hallway across the elevators on each floor) or 617-253-1212 from a cell phone to contact the MIT police.
- Selling Stuff: Incase you have stuff to sell or give for free, you can post on